The City of Mill Valley imposes penalties for building, zoning, and some municipal code violations. These penalties may be calculated in one of two ways. When a permit can be issued to legalize a violation, penalties are two times the base permit fee. If the violation cannot be approved or legalized by a permit, you will be given 30 days to cease the unlawful use or demolish the unlawful structure. If you fail to comply with our direction, you may be penalized between $100 per day and up to a maximum of $1000 per day, per violation.
Where you fall within this penalty range is based upon the following:
- The seriousness of the violation. Could the violation harm human health/safety or the environment?
- The length of time the violation has existed.
- The diligence and cooperation of the property owner.
- The impact of the violation on other properties.
- The owner's level of responsibility for the violation. Did the owner create or add to the violation?