First Tuesday ArtWalk Exhibitions
2024 Exhibitions at Mill Valley City Hall and Mill Valley Community Center Venues
The Mill Valley Arts Commission is now accepting 2D artwork (sorry, we cannot accommodate 3D art or jewelry) from artists in the greater Bay Area to be considered for First Tuesday ArtWalk exhibitions in the Mill Valley City Hall Council Chambers or the Mill Valley Community Center during the First Tuesday ArtWalks in 2024. During the selection process, the Mill Valley Arts Commission will determine location of each chosen artist's exhibition, as we are unable to accommodate specific location requests.
Deadline to apply is Tuesday, December 5th at 12pm.
View floorplans and exhibition spaces for:
Some exhibits may include more than one artist. Exhibitions are hung for one to two months (depending on scheduling and location). Opening receptions are typically held on the first Tuesday of the month and are part of the Mill Valley Arts Commission's monthly First Tuesday ArtWalks.
Artists will upload in jpeg format 10 examples of the artwork they intend to hang representing the type and range of the art that would be included in the show. Each artist must be able to mount a show of at least 15 pieces of artwork (maximum number of pieces of artwork allowed per exhibit depends on artwork dimensions).
Applicants with individual exhibitions at City Hall Council Chambers or the Mill Valley Community Center in 2022-2023 are not eligible for the 2024 Call for Artwork. Application deadline is Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 12pm.
Checklist for complete application:
Please review the checklist below. Applicants who do not submit a complete application will not be considered.
- Reside in the greater Bay Area. Priority is given to artists who reside in Marin County.
- Fill out the Artist Application online form (all required information indicated in the online form must be submitted for consideration).
- Submit 10 examples of your current work in jpeg format via the Artist Application online form.
- Submit a list of descriptions including titles, medium, and dimensions, for each of your submitted artwork samples, via the Artist Application online form.
- Submit all required information no later than Tuesday, December 5, 2023 @ 12pm. If for some reason, you cannot submit copies of your works electronically, please contact the Community Services Supervisor, Molly Given @ 415-383-1370 to work on potential options. Please do this at least 3 business days before the submission deadline.
- Review by the Mill Valley Arts Commission
- Full Arts Commission approval via a juried presentation
If you are selected:
Selected artists must sign a City of Mill Valley liability release and complete the Artist Agreement prior to the exhibition installation.
Selected artists must provide completed artwork on the agreed to installation date. If artwork will not be ready for installation on the agreed to installation date artist must notify the City within 30 days prior to installation date.
Selected artists must safely remove artwork on the agreed to de-installation date. Should artist not remove artwork on the agreed to de-installation date the City may retain the artwork.
City of Mill Valley guidelines for hanging artwork in City buildings
The Mill Valley Arts Commission reserves the right to deem any piece of artwork unsuitable to be displayed in its public spaces and may request the removal of said piece(s) from the artwork exhibition at any time during its display period. Although the City encourages artistic free expression, the City also wishes to ensure that City buildings are places where citizens, employees, and visitors of all ages, including children, feel welcome and comfortable. City buildings are public spaces where the community gathers and conducts official city business; the exhibition of art is hosted in service to these public spaces and the business conducted therein.
Exhibitions are selected based upon the artworks submitted. Any substitutions or additions of artworks not originally submitted as part of the "Call for Artworks" application process must be reviewed and approved by the Curator assigned.
Questions? Please contact Mill Valley Arts Commission at (415) 383-1370 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest!