- The Arts
- Call for Artwork
- DEI Exhibition Space
DEI Exhibition Space
The Mill Valley Arts Commission is now accepting 2D artwork (sorry, we cannot accommodate 3D art or jewelry) from artists in the greater Bay Area to be considered for a showing in a NEW exhibition space which was created (and specifically allocated) to promote and highlight artists and/or artwork that represents Diversity and/or Equity, and/or Inclusion (DEI). This new space is located at the Mill Valley Aquatics and Fitness Center which is part of the Mill Valley Community Center.
Exhibits are hung for a minimum of one month (exhibit duration may increase based on need and scheduling); opening receptions are typically held for each new exhibit, and are part of the Mill Valley Arts Commission’s monthly ArtWalks.
Artists will upload in jpeg format 6 examples of the artwork they intend to hang representing the type and range of the art that would be included in the show. Each artist must be able to mount a show of at least 6 pieces of artwork (maximum number of pieces of artwork allowed per exhibit depends on artwork dimensions).
Checklist for complete application:
Please review the checklist below. Applicants who do not submit a complete application will not be considered.
- Reside in the greater Bay Area. Priority is given to artists who reside in Marin County.
- Fill out the Artist Application online form below (all required information indicated in the online form must be submitted for consideration).
- Submit six examples of your current work in jpeg format via the Artist Application online form below.
- Submit a list of descriptions including titles, medium, and dimensions, for each of your submitted artwork samples, via the Artist Application online form below.
- Submit all required information no later than Tuesday, October 4th @ 12pm. If for some reason, you cannot submit copies of your works electronically, please contact the Community Services Supervisor @ 415-383-1370 to work on potential options. Please do this at least 3 business days before the samples need to be submitted.
- Review by the Mill Valley Arts Commission Public Art Committee
- Committee recommendation to the full Arts Commission
- Full Arts Commission approval via a juried presentation
If you are selected:
Selected artists must sign a City of Mill Valley liability release and complete the Artist Agreement before beginning work on the selected piece.
Selected artists must provide completed artwork on the agreed to installation date. If artwork will not be ready for installation on the agreed to installation date artist must notify the City within 30 days prior to installation date.
Selected artists must safely remove artwork on the agreed to de-installation date. Should artist not remove artwork on the agreed to de-installation date the City may retain the artwork.
City of Mill Valley guidelines for hanging artwork in City buildings
The Mill Valley Arts Commission reserves the right to deem any piece of artwork unsuitable to be displayed in its public spaces and may request the removal of said piece(s) from the artwork exhibition at any time during its display period. Although the City encourages artistic free expression, the City also wishes to ensure that City buildings are places where citizens, employees, and visitors of all ages, including children, feel welcome and comfortable. City buildings are public spaces where the community gathers and conducts official city business; the exhibition of art is hosted in service to these public spaces and the business conducted therein.
Exhibitions are selected based upon the artworks submitted. Any substitutions or additions of artworks not originally submitted as part of the "Call for Artworks" application process must be reviewed and approved by the Curator assigned.
Questions? Please contact Mill Valley Arts Commission at (415) 383-1370 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest!