- Planning & Building
- Code Enforcement
- Smoking Regulations
City of Mill Valley Smoking Regulations in Multi-Unit Residences
Mill Valley Municipal Code Chapter 7.20 Smoking Prohibitions and Tobacco Retailing Regulations (Ord. 1274 § 2, October 19, 2015)
- Smoking is prohibited in all new and existing individual dwelling spaces of Multi-Unit Residences, such as apartments, condominiums, townhouses and duplexes, which includes private balconies, porches and decks.
- Smoking is banned in all common areas such as lobbies, community rooms, gym facilities, and laundry rooms.
- Smoking is not permitted 20 feet from doorways, windows, or other openings into an area in which smoking is prohibited.
- Nonconsensual exposure to smoke occurring on or drifting into residential property is declared a nuisance.
- Landlords or members of a homeowner’s association have the option to designate a portion of an outdoor common area as a smoking area if it satisfies all criteria listed (Mill Valley Municipal Code § 7.20.030 C.1).
Violations are subject to an administrative citation issued by the City, punishable by an administrative citation by an enforcement officer as provided under Chapter 8.02 Administrative Code Enforcement Remedies. (Ord. 1274 § 2, October 19, 2015).
Penalties for violations are $100 (first offense), $200 (second offence), and $500 (third and additional).
I have a complaint about someone smoking in my building. Where do I start?
The City is working with Smoke Free Marin to provide community members with information and resources. Please visit their website or call (415) 473-3020. Click here for the Smoking Complaint Form.